RC Deaf Missions Malaysia in collaboration with the Philippine Association of Interpreters for Deaf Empowerment (PAIDE) is offering a Diploma in Sign Language Interpreting here in Malaysia. This is a specialised skill enhancement programme, primarily designed for
- Practising sign language (BIM) interpreters to be better equipped to serve in a variety of settings.
- For active signers who are transitioning to become interpreters.
This programme is NOT for beginners.
- The candidate should have ideally completed levels 1, 2 and 3 under our Sign Language Programmes. Any additional workshops/courses attended under our programmes will be advantageous.
- Active involvement with the Deaf i.e. interpreting or community projects.
- Information of workshops / seminars / trainings attended.
- Recommendation/support letter from organisation you serve.
1 and a half years inclusive of 5 full weekend workshops.
Candidates will be required to undergo a pre-assessment.
- Deaf awareness
- History of Sign Language
- Fingerspelling techniques
- Code of ethics
- Interpreting literary pieces in sign language
- Song interpretation
- Artistic interpreting
- Psychology of the Deaf
- Exposure in educational interpreting
- Idiomatic expressions
- Established signed vocabulary (Medical and legal interpreting)
- News interpreting: health, crime, sports, entertainment, etc.
- Sign laboratory – voice to sign, sign to voice interpreting
- Exposure in religious interpreting: Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, Christianity (optional)
Upon completion of the pre-assessment, the candidate will be informed if he/she is eligible to enroll for this diploma programme. Balance of the fees is to be paid under an easy payment scheme over 12 months period. Final assessment, and other administrative costs information will be conveyed directly to the candidates.
For more information
Please contact our director, Agnes Peter at email@example.com