Class of 2015
A message from the co-founder, Agnes Peter
Dear everyone, I am the Co-Founder of RC Deaf Missions Malaysia. I am a certified sign language interpreter and I also received a Certificate of Merit from PAIDE (Philippine Association of Interpreters for Deaf Empowerment). Prior to launching the Diploma in Sign Language Interpreting (2012 – 2013), I had invested about 3 years of research to find out what was available in this country for interpreter skill enhancement. There was nothing openly available that would work out for interpreters freelancing and hold full time jobs. After 3 years of research, finding nothing tangible, I researched for a suitable programme outside of Malaysia that had Asian elements, a training structured programme that would combine the flavour of local Malaysian Deaf. This is a privately run programme. RC Deaf Missions Malaysia is officially linked up with a credible agency in Philippines that successfully graduated more than 100 interpreters in its life time, and they continue to graduate more. Those who enroll for this Diploma pay for their education themselves. The main purpose is to help these individuals perform much better in their interpreting skills. I ask folks out there to pay attention to this Wake Up Call. We are in a critical stage in this era where there is clearly a shortage of skilled interpreters both at Govt, and in private sector (and this includes NGOs, etc). So if you take up this Diploma programme, it is your choice, for your betterment and skill. The primary goal is the Deaf, that we can give good interpreting service to the Deaf.
- We are a legally registered Company in Malaysia.
- We have incorporated into our Memorandum and Articles of Association, the necessary clauses that tell the public we are legally running this programe.
- In the specified clause, we mention our official linkage with Philippine Association of Interpreters for Deaf Empowerment for Diploma and any customised Degree related programmes organised by RC Deaf Missions Malaysia.
- PAIDE is an Association and has a track record of having graduated 72 interpreters since it’s inception.
- Our Evaluating Team comprises a combination of hearing and Deaf Evaluators.
You may also be keen to know that on June 10, 2011, I met with the late Dean (Encik Salehuddin) of Education at International University College Of Technology Twintech and introduced to him the CEO of PAIDE (Jun Celada). It was a very engaging conversation as I was interested to get more accurate information on the Diploma programme being run at the University. At the time, they were offering Diploma in Sign Language studies. A 2 year full time programme (it wasn’t something that would help freelancers with full time jobs). No part time was offered at the time and this was more a pilot venture (not open to the public). With his passing, the faculty for this particular area of specialisation had shut down. It has remained shut down since then. There is some mention of the late Dean Allahyarham Encik Sallehuddin (former Dean; Faculty of Education) Encik Ghadzalli (former Registrar) who passed away in 2012. Currently, to our knowledge and in a call today (Wed May 3, 2017) with MQA, it is confirmed that there is NO Diploma in Sign Language Interpreting running at the International University College Of Technology Twintech.
RC Deaf Missions Malaysia and Philippines Association of Interpreters for Deaf Empowerment
This Diploma Programme will:
- SIGNIFICANTLY enhance your expressive and voice interpreting skills
- SIGNIFICANTLY upgrade your knowledge on interpreter issues
Contact us if you fall under any of these categories:
- Interpreters with some or no formal training
- Active signers transitioning to interpreters
- Deaf wanting to be interpreters
- Sign Language Students seriously considering this profession
Please do not hesitate to contact us at rcdeafmissionsmalaysia@gmail.
Mobile / Whatsapp +6011 1237 9920
NOTE : THIS IS NOT FOR BEGINNERS
- The candidate should have ideally completed Levels 1, 2 and 3 under our Sign Language Programmes. Any additional workshops/courses attended under our programmes will be advantageous.
- Active involvement with the Deaf – interpreting / community projects
- Information of workshops / seminars /trainings attended
- Recommendation / support letter from organisation you serve
Interview and Pre Assessment
To be advised
Diploma Start Date
To be advised